DXZeff's Computing Forum
DXZeff's Computing Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Discord | Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Recently Played/Bought/Messed with
Jump to page : < ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 >
Now viewing page 39 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Computer Speak -> General ComputingMessage format

edneil
Posted 2018-09-14 10:43 AM (#1403 - in reply to #1402)
Subject: Re: Recently Played/Bought/Messed with

Harris 286

Just picked up the beginnings of my 10 gigabit networking project. At the moment I'm only moving two servers to 10GbE (using SFP+ DACs) so I went for a Dell PowerConnect 5524 - 24 Gig-E, 2x SFP+ - it was only 80 pounds.

These servers are my Hyper-V host (HP DL380 G7, 2 X5670s, 72GB RAM and 4 1TB 10K SATA drives in Raid10) and my file server (generic 4u chassis with 20 drive bays, 8 in use, 8x2TB in RAID5 (yuck, I know) with a Core2Quad at present)

The ultimate end-game is to move to fiber throughout as it's surprisingly cheap - a pre-terminated 100ft fiber cable is 15 quid and the transceivers are around 13 quid.

Pictures and benchmarks to follow on Tuesday / Wednesday when it all shows up.

Edited by edneil 2018-09-14 10:50 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
twm
Posted 2018-09-14 8:00 PM (#1404 - in reply to #71)

Chips 386

I'm facing a real life stuff / tasks for quite a long days, even may say they are taking my whole time, right up to my neck. And because of that, sadly, I cannot spend a time on the forum nor on the hobby (..I'm sharing with the forum dwellers).
It's still great to know the forum is alive (and quite well). That's a really positive thing.
Brief /cheers, (even if I'm not an established visitor here, obviously).
DXZeff
Posted 2018-09-15 9:51 PM (#1405 - in reply to #1404)

Pentium II

Also been busy with other things lately, but still finding time to do stuff. The rats do take up time however, a few hours of every day that I'd probably only have wasted otherwise;
Uploaded Image
Uploaded Image

Meanwhile I changed the CD drive in the P66 and moved the CDR100 out into an external caddy, this configuration might not stay depending on how things work out;
Uploaded Image

Meant to post these a while back, just some artwork from that Dragon 2K pirate disc;
Uploaded Image
Uploaded Image
Uploaded Image
Uploaded Image
The last one is the menu background, I should have recovered enough of this disc to actually run the menu at some point though it really isn't all that interesting.
Brostenen
Posted 2018-09-15 10:03 PM (#1406 - in reply to #1405)

AMD K6-2

#DXZeff
Yeah. Rats take up a lot of time. I once, many years ago, had a rat my self. In order to socialize it, I had it living on my pocket during school time.
DXZeff
Posted 2018-09-15 11:02 PM (#1407 - in reply to #1406)

Pentium II

At this stage I'm only bothering to socialize one of them and will be trying to find them a new home eventually, with more rats, that they can go to. The gray one is cool, she runs up my arm and sits on my shoulder, but the black one is just miserable. She was fine early on, by far the braver of the two and used to beat the gray one every time they had a light scrap, but then something spooked her and she just cowered in the corner screaming, staring at something I can't see near the keyboard stand, she kept doing it. Whenever she has an episode like that she will go off her food for a few hours and just sit there, so the gray one gets bored and I have to try my best to keep her company, she'll just ignore the black one and won't even sleep in the same place as her when this is going on. I think they'd benefit from having other rats around, the black one because it might boost her confidence, the gray one because it's a waste for her to be stressed by the black one all the time and she gets lonely.

I have had a vet check it out and they can't find anything wrong, said it's just something she's obviously going to do and that there's not much I can do about it, though on the up-side it doesn't seem to be anything I did and anyway, she's not usually bothered by me being around the cage so it's obviously something else, so at least I don't have that worry stressing me out any more. We did hope she would improve but it's been a over a week and things are no better, if anything they're worse because the gray one is getting depressed from having no other rat to play with, she tries to play with the black one but the black one just cries and they're both being continually disturbed, because when the black one is moping it will hoard the food and just sit in the bed, it will then crap in the bed and stink up the cage which bothers the gray one even more and means I have to keep cleaning and replacing things more often than I should.

If I could, I'd just keep the gray one and dump the black one on someone else, but they don't do well on their own, so as it is I'm just ignoring the black one because I honestly can't be bothered, she's got food, she's got water, she's got a place to hide, sucks to be her if she can't be bothered with anything else, means treats are now half-price and I can just leave the cage door open when the gray one is out because the black one will never try to escape. By contrast the gray one is a likable menace and will not only come out to explore if I leave the door open, but has also been seen to mess with the catches in an attempt to open said doors. Not too worried about her figuring it out as she'd just come to me if it did open anyway.

But yeah, it's bothering me, I'd get a couple more and start introducing them if I had the space, just to try and offset this issue, but I don't have the room so the best thing for them is going to be to find someone else who already has rats to look after them. Sucks, I'll miss the gray one a lot, but after trying what I can and giving it serious thought, it really does seem like the best thing I can do for the rats themselves, I don't want them to be miserable after all and there really isn't anything else I can do. One of the people I talked to suggested 'forcing' the black one to socialize, but I don't think this is retaliate' stuff is gonna go out of the window and she'll be pinned on her back before she knows what's what, so I'm not wasting my time on that idea because it will help nobody, neither me nor the rats. The gray one bites but that's different, it's not an attack, she's just curious and this seems to be their way of figuring out the world, it doesn't hurt and stops quickly once she realizes my finger, ear or nose doesn't taste good, I don't mind.
So as I said, I'll look after them for now as best I can and maybe start trying to find somewhere else next month.
Brostenen
Posted 2018-09-16 8:09 AM (#1408 - in reply to #1407)

AMD K6-2

#DXZeff
I really like, that you worry for them. Shure they are just small animals, yet they still are animals. Not like you are doing all them extreme things, that you sometimes see peple do with their pets. You know. Those that puts their animals high up in the same league as that of humans. Need to treat the animals well, just dont overdoo. Hope you know what I am trying to say here.
Brostenen
Posted 2018-09-16 7:25 PM (#1409 - in reply to #71)

AMD K6-2

Moving the danish keycaps from the dead a500 keyboard, to a working a500 keyboard, that was originally with German layout. And then updating my blog about the reastauration of the Amiga500 Revision 5 machine.
edneil
Posted 2018-09-21 9:10 PM (#1418 - in reply to #1409)

Harris 286

I finally got the 10GbE project completed. Along the way I've decided that Supermicro's X9 boards are not great: so many expansion cards simply do not work with them. Adaptec 5 series RAID controllers cause endless reboot loops in the controller BIOS, HP NC523SFP 10GbE NICs cause the boards to hang at the BIOS and some NVIDIA GPUs just do not get detected at all. Very frustrating.

I'm running a HP NC522SFP in my DL380 G7, which is hooked up using a DAC to a Dell PowerConnect 5224. The other SFP+ port on the switch goes to my file server with the above mentioned problematic Supermicro X9SCA-F motherboard, which too has an HP NC522SFP.

Out of the box I'm seeing about 1.9GBit/s using iperf, which is not overly impressive. I think some significant tweaking is required.

In [arguably more interesting] retro computing news, I've dug out my 286 and 386 systems - both came from solicitors and both are decidedly boring machines. The 286 does have a Seagate MFM (?? I don't know much about these _old_ systems!) hard disk - It's an ST-251-1 drive with matching (unidentified) controller card, which I haven't been able to get working yet - but I think it's just my inexperience with this stuff. The 386 system was in active use until 2006 or so! It ran Windows 3.1 and Lotus 1-2-3. I will probably throw some pictures up in the Discord in the hopes somebody will be able to tell me what the heck I'm looking at!
DXZeff
Posted 2018-09-22 3:39 AM (#1419 - in reply to #1418)

Pentium II

The X10SAE has still been pretty much trouble free so far. One thing to keep in mind is that the X9SCA PCI-E slots are, as far as I remember, sometimes larger than the actual number of lanes they connect to, so that could be part of the issue.

Meanwhile one of those Socket 8 to Slot 1 adapters I was on about a few days ago is on eBay for stupidly high money, but it's there in case you've ever looked at your Pentium II and thought 'Yeah, I like it, but it'd be a lot better if it was kinda shit.'.
Jump to page : < ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 >
Now viewing page 39 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software