DXZeff's Computing Forum
DXZeff's Computing Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Discord | Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Recently Played/Bought/Messed with
Jump to page : < ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 >
Now viewing page 27 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Computer Speak -> General ComputingMessage format

waybacktech
Posted 2017-09-21 4:57 PM (#985 - in reply to #984)
Subject: Re: Recently Played/Bought/Messed with

Cyrix 6x86

I don't really have any interest in the Amiga stuff other than it's a novelty to me, like a PS/2, I really can't think of a use for beyond what I can already do with what I have. I would much rather have a NEXT system personally, but the Video Toaster is about the only thing that I have ever seen for an Amiga that would give me an excuse to actually use an Amiga, if just for a little while till I got bored with it I guess.

I have a similar JVC vcr, except mine is black. Picked it up for a couple dollars at a thrift store years ago. Mine works great but I seldom use it because SVIDEO decks that work have gone up in price, and I have a couple other VCR's that are working just fine as it is. I personally thought that JVC unit was built very cheaply, as were most units at the "turn of the century" and after, but it does it's job for now. Good to know about the gear thing on those. Knock on wood, heh wood, my Sharp from 1993 is still working like a champ as good as ever, though the display has dimmed a little since it was new. Sharp made some really good stuff at one point, can't say I ever had a bad product from them. I have a Sharp LCD TV since 2007, a cd player from 1991 and the vcr and all working just great.

Panasonic though, IDK, while they have a reputation with the Technics line of products, I never really found Panasonic to be leaps and bounds better than anyone else. Seems like their stuff breaks just as much if not more than other brands that are thought of to be a cheap brand. Those Panasonic AG-1980 and similar models of editing VCR's are always up for sale broken and wanting a lot of money for them. Nice looking units but damn, seems like those were a less than par unit with how many of them have broke over the years, and we're talking about more than a simple belt problem too.

Didn't you have something else you thought came from a Mental Health facility? Hey with all of these little CRT monitors you got now, you should keep warm in the winter with those on! I'm curious to see where the heck you put those with all that space you don't have there.

Edited by waybacktech 2017-09-21 5:00 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Deksor
Posted 2017-09-22 6:59 PM (#986 - in reply to #985)

Chips 386

I just received that screen : http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-sharp-LM121SS1T509-LM121SS1T53-12-1-800... (I didn't pay that much though. I "only" paid 20€ including shipping) to replace that one : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/IBM-Thinkpad-760EL-LCD-Screen-46H3600-/23221...

According to the thinkwiki they're the same ... except that they're NOT ! They look pretty much the same, but the circuitry is different and sadly the connector don't fit AT ALL. The most annoying thing is to see that in the US the "good" screen is cheap while there's none in europe (or at prohibitive prices) and shiping the US units to europe costs way too much

I thought I was finally done with old pentium laptops, that finally I'd have one that would allow me to game properly as it doesn't have these crappy CSTN screens ... but nope :'(
CyrixInstead
Posted 2017-09-23 3:19 PM (#987 - in reply to #984)

Chips 386

You know I'm sure I've heard that In my dream song before, just can't place it. Very well done anyhow
CyrixInstead
Posted 2017-09-23 3:48 PM (#988 - in reply to #987)

Chips 386

As to the Amiga, I think they are wonderful machines, but for me are used as nothing more than games consoles, that has always been the case too. I bought my 500 back in 1988, was a pretty expensive purchase back then, £400 or so.
At the time I was working for a local newspaper as a junior reporter(one of my first ever jobs, and one of the most fun), we had Amstrad PCW 8512 machines with Locoscript word processor , now for those of you who might not be familiar with these very forgotten machines today, they were pretty much an entire serious use machine with everything you'd need right out of the box, CP/M, Locoscript, a great BASIC, Z80 512K computer, disc drive, green 80-column monitor, nice keyboard for typing and even a decent enough quality printer for that same £400 yep less than 1/4 the price of a IBM XT or Apple Mac never mind the printer. Locoscript was very powerful once you'd learned it's system, the keyboard was good and the the screen was easy on the eyes. In my opinion the PCW was the best 8-bit machine to be made for actual work and certainly Amstrad's finest product. A large number of British authors cut their teeth on the PCW, I wonder how many unfinished novels are now rotting away on those non standard 3 inch disks in shed and lofts?
To have made the Amiga as useful as the PCW at the time would have cost perhaps £1500, and the only WP program I saw was frankly crap in comparison. but it made a bloody excellent games system, no doubt of that!
Brostenen
Posted 2017-09-23 6:15 PM (#989 - in reply to #988)

Cyrix 6x86

Ohh yeaa... I remember them PCW's. They were real workhorses. :-) I only know of one person that were actually using them. Though they were really nice systems and the floppy disks were something strange to look at. He used it to write fantasy novels on. That was around 1996 or something like that, so he got it really late. Regarding work being done on Amiga's. Then I know about two persons that used it for real work. One did all his highschool work in wordworth on an A1200. The other used his A1200 for programming in tech college. He was programming in machine code, doing the initial code by hand, using paper and pencil. When he got home after school, he typed in the code and so on.
Jump to page : < ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 >
Now viewing page 27 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software