DXZeff's Computing Forum
DXZeff's Computing Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Discord | Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Recently Played/Bought/Messed with
Jump to page : < ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 >
Now viewing page 68 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Computer Speak -> General ComputingMessage format

tedster
Posted 2021-09-29 3:29 PM (#2289 - in reply to #2288)
Subject: Re: Recently Played/Bought/Messed with

IDT WinChip

Blimey, Zeff on an Athlon!

I've never had an Apple machine, they don't really appeal to me. But it's something for you to tinker with and that can't be bad!

However, my news is. I've managed to source an i7-3632QM cpu for my Thinkpad T-430, off the 'bay of wonders! Pretty hard to find these 35w i7's. So when I finally spotted one I snapped it up. Should give the old girl a boost, not that I had any complaints with the original i5 that was in there. But I do like to mess!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DXZeff
Posted 2021-10-06 3:44 AM (#2290 - in reply to #71)

TM Crusoe

@Brostenen: By contrast, I've no love for Mac at all, but as usual have no reason to fault others for wanting to use them.
720p YouTube is one thing, but I always feel a little miserable when I think back to being able to watch 360p YouTube on a 266MHz Pentium II without issue, as things sure did bloat since.
Can't remember how much it cost to print per copy. £3 per copy is probably good enough. Be warned, it's not great, as I wrote it for myself, really, with little regard for anyone else.
As for the XT, it has since gotten a hard drive. XT-IDE is troublesome, so it's ended up on an old 21MB 8-Bit IDE drive that probably doesn't have much life in it, but it's an obscure interface, so worth tampering with just because. Slower than hell throughput, but that hardly matters in this machine anyway. Hoping to find an RTC card for it some day, for research reasons mostly, as I suspect some 'weird' performance is coming from applications falling back on the ~18Hz IRQ 0 timer, versus the 1KHz timer it might use if a RTC was present.

@Tedster: Hopefully it's faster than this 2620M, as it's becoming a bit of a drag now.
tedster
Posted 2021-10-08 10:22 AM (#2291 - in reply to #2290)

IDT WinChip

Is there a bios mod to let you use Ivy Bridge cpu's?

It is a bit faster but it was another bloody rabbit hole. I had to get a bigger power brick, so that was another 20 quid!
tedster
Posted 2021-10-21 12:18 AM (#2293 - in reply to #2291)

IDT WinChip

Got another bloody ThinkPad!

I took the heat sink off my old R50e to clean it and the bloody fan crumbled to pieces. Well, I found one for sale in China but that's on a slow boat, probably. So, a quick scan on the 'bay sourced an identical machine to mine. Listed as "for parts or not working" I thought it worth a punt for the 23 pounds inc shipping!

Well, bugger me, the thing turned up and it's in better condition than mine! The seller had no charger and plugging it in using mine, I got an instant sign of life. Loads of complaints about wrong time and date and no bootable device. Typical for a dead cmos battery. So I pulled it apart, pulled the cmos battery, stripped it and taped up a new CR2025. Added another 512mb stick of ram alongside the installed one. Pulled the drive out of my old R50e and the thing booted right up. It's a lovely little machine, sporting a Pentium M 1.7 GHz and even Intel WiFi, which mine doesn't have.

I'll transfer the good bits of mine over to it and make it into my retro XP lappy. My old one will get a couple of sticks of 256mb ram and become my 98se retro lappy! Well, it will if my Cineasium cooler turns up. What a result.
Jump to page : < ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 >
Now viewing page 68 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software