DXZeff's Computing Forum
DXZeff's Computing Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Discord | Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Recently Played/Bought/Messed with
Jump to page : < ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 >
Now viewing page 43 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Computer Speak -> General ComputingMessage format

waybacktech
Posted 2019-03-11 7:59 PM (#1527 - in reply to #1526)
Subject: Re: Recently Played/Bought/Messed with

IDT WinChip

Strange for the caps to have been cut off as the board appears like it was in regular use at some point. Maybe someone used it for parts, or those caps blew off the board.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Brostenen
Posted 2019-03-11 9:36 PM (#1528 - in reply to #71)

AMD K6-2

Any luck getting it to work yet?
DXZeff
Posted 2019-03-11 10:26 PM (#1529 - in reply to #71)

Pentium II

The possibility of them having blown up in the past did cross my mind, them being tantalums and all. I did wonder if maybe they'd blown and someone had cut the remains off with the intention of repairing the board, but that the repairs were never gotten around to before it found its way to the scrap pile.

I don't have capacitors of the correct value to hand and the ones I have that are close are really busted up, but things do get warmer than they did before as if an actual clock is being fed to them now, everything acted as if it were 'halted' before, odds are the caps I've hastily stuffed on there aren't good enough and need replacing with the correct values and less mileage. Wish I had the proper tools to analyze boards in depth, like a scope and shit, but they're too expensive.

I do think the prognosis is generally good though. It seems both Soyo and EDOM sold a version of this design with roughly the same component placement, so finding someone with one of those or another PI4 who can get me the values and a few things to compare with won't be impossible, the EDOM even has the same jumper labels aside from their alterations to the voltage regulation.
One interesting discovery I made is that the clock generator (same used by MS-4144) can be programmed to run at 80MHz and the board does have a hardware PCI divider onboard, may have to do some reverse-engineering and see if the MSI has such a divider too as it may be possible to start a DX-50 at these speeds, or maybe force a POD into 1x mode and have it run at this speed. Turns out another board I have which uses a Cypress PLL would be able to do 100MHz if the jumpers were present, but that one has no divider onboard.

The Jetway board isn't happy, but has proven useful for debugging this ABit, because that one does appear to have a busted chipset, nothing gets warm on that one. The 386SX board blew a tantalum but should otherwise work once I replace it as it was starting the VGA card when that blew, the PSU shut off at that point. The 286 board has been on fire in the past, but was also repaired for this in the past, it should work fine with some tweaking as the logic seems to be doing what it should, just need some 30-Pin slots to stuff in those SIPP holes. All but four of the included RAM sticks seem to work, including the big 32M sticks - haven't tried that weird one with the little voltreg looking thing on it as I don't know what that is, almost looks like it'd be out of a sampler or something.

Otherwise I have a script nearly done for a video, so hopefully I can get onto that in the near future.
Brostenen
Posted 2019-03-12 8:17 PM (#1530 - in reply to #1529)

AMD K6-2

Recieved an MeanWell RT-65b Power Supply and installed it into an empty Amiga-500 power supply shell.

(MeanWell-07.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MeanWell-07.jpg (341KB - 4 downloads)
Brostenen
Posted 2019-03-12 11:34 PM (#1531 - in reply to #1530)

AMD K6-2

Wrote a blog post about the PSU...
Brostenen
Posted 2019-03-16 11:30 AM (#1532 - in reply to #1531)

AMD K6-2

Finished up my Amiga500 Turbo Edition the other day. Now it is not a stock Amiga500 model anymore. I have beefed (or souped) it up to the levels of an expanded Amiga2000 machine. And except for two rocker switches and and VGA output in the case, you can not see that it has been modded at all. I don't think that I can do it any better. Well.... Perhaps I can add some more in the form of an PC bridge board. Yet that would make me loose around 512k of ChipMem, unless I can find a PC card that can deliver 1mb of its ram as ChipRam, when I am running it in Amiga-mode.

Here is the final machine....

Yet I am pretty happy with this result, and I have the other 500, that are just a stock machine.
Jump to page : < ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 >
Now viewing page 43 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software